Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Export Individual References to RefWorks
From TechCat+, you can create citations to copy & paste into a word document or export records into RefWorks.
- The following steps outline exporting single records from a Results List into RefWorks.
- Log into your RefWorks account.
- In another tab or window open TechCat+ (we recommend also logging into your WorldCat account at this point) & perform your search
- Once you have identified a book or article that you want to add to your RefWorks account, click on its title
- Select the Cite/Export link in the record.
- Under the "Citation" link, click the Export to RefWorks link
- A RefWorks page will pop up in another tab or browser window indicating the export/import was successful
- If a new window does not pop up, click on the ReefWorks page to see if the new reference is in your last imported folder
- Unsuccessful exports are usually the result of pop-up blockers
- Try the export again and watch in the area of the tool bar or url box for indication of a pop-up blocker. You will have to allow pop-ups for RefWorks in order to complete an export.
Export Lists to RefWorks
To save or export a list of citations or records to RefWorks you must login to your WorldCat account. (See Accounts tab) Log in to your RefWorks account before searching.
Open Techcat+ and log in to your WorldCat.org account. (Upper right) If you don't have a WorldCat account, go to Create Account. This will allow you to add items to a list that you will then be able to export to RefWorks.
Conduct your search.
Add any filters to narrow the list.
Check the box for any items you want to export to RW. Name your llist and save checked items before going to the next page of results.
To export to RW:
- go to the Sign-in box in the upper right
- go to "My Personal Lists"
- click on the list you want to export to RefWorks
- select the "Cite" tab
- choose the citation style (you can also do this in RefWorks)
- check the items you want to export or export all
- click on "Export to RefWorks"
- RefWorks should open in a new window. If it does not, it is likely a popup blocker issue. Look for the "blocked" message near the navigation bar or url address box and allow popups for the site.
If you have any difficulty or questions, be sure to call or email a reference librarian. (email@example.com or 248-204-3000.